Water damage to a carpet can give rise to several negative consequences. In instances of the carpet getting completely soaked due to a flood of water, it is best to opt for water extraction and damage in Sydney and drying the carpet immediately.
Water flooding can happen for many different reasons like a burst or jammed pipe, heavy rains, accidentally leaving a tap open in the bathroom or kitchen, etc. Irrespective of the reason for the flooding, any person who has experienced it knows that it requires extensive cleanup.
The carpet is especially vulnerable to damage by water. A damp carpet provides the perfect environment for the growth of fungal infections like mildew and molds. It also leaves behind a bad musty smell that tends to linger for a long time and causes all sorts of health problems.
Health concerns arising from a bad smell
Cleaning up after a house is flooded with water is a very difficult and critical process. It involves more than just taking care of the furniture, throwing away what cannot be saved, and mopping the floor thoroughly. As long as the house or the room smells musty and damp, the threat remains.
The presence of this lingering bad smell indicates the growth of mildew and molds. These fungal infections not only thrive in damp conditions, but they also grow at a rapid pace to spread like wildfire. They can also cause significant damage to the house and the people living in it like:
- Premature decay of the carpet and the floor below
- Polluting the air within the room/house
- Exacerbating existing respiratory problems like breathing problems, asthma, etc
- Inducing breathing problems even in kids and people not prone to COPD
- Fungal spores reducing body immunity
Hence, a bad smell emanating from the carpet is a serious threat to the health of the family as a whole.
Different types of smells present in a carpet
Carpets are made of nylon, olefin, polyester, or wool fibers. Of these, nylon carpets are the least prone to holding smells. The smells present in the carpet can have several different origins. Some of the common smells that are present in the homes are:
- Pet smells like urine or vomit
- Damp or moist smell
Treating bad smell coming from carpets
However, despite the significant health risk they pose, they are treatable and can be got rid of easily. Some of the common processes adopted include:
- Opening up all the doors and windows of the house or the room enables fresh air to circulate. This dries up the carpet thoroughly and helps to minimize the odor. Doing this every day will eventually make the smell go away.
- Using a dehumidifier removes all excess moisture present in the air thereby putting a stop to the growth of mildew and mold.
- Spritzing the area by using a mixture of vinegar with water prevents bacterial infections.it can also be used to remove those that have already formed.
Sometimes despite putting in the best efforts, the smell emanating from the wet carpet drying Sydney persistently lingers. In such instances, it is best to get in touch with professionals. Whatever the method adopted the underlying action should be the complete removal of bad smells from the carpet to prevent health problems in the family.