Table of Contents
Biometrics can be traced back to when French police initiated its Forensic Identification Unit in 1888 by introducing mug-shot and anthropometry. Followed by the Metropolitan police starting the use of biometric authentication and identification in 1901. In old ways, authorization was granted on the basis of passwords and knowledge-based questions which were thought to be reliable until they started creating rooms for fraudsters. Criminals using a plastic mask can be identified by retina scan or fingerprint. Websites using traditional methods of on-boarding possess a high risk of vulnerability and cyber-attacks due to their fragile system. The solution to these problems is biometrics. Aviation industry invests approximately 50 billion US dollars in biometric technologies, with airlines spending 4.84% whereas airports spending 6.06% of their revenues.
‘Biometrics refers to the analysis of people’s unique and rare physical, behavioral and biological characteristics.’
It includes both:
Authentication does not look at the biological characteristics rather it compares data for the person’s characteristics including their physical and behavioral traits.
Identification, as the name implies, determines the identity of the person, providing the answer ‘who are you?’.
It helps in proving the saying of the person that he is the same in the real world.
The market of global biometric authentication and identification is predicted to reach $100 billion with an annual growth of 14.6 percent during the time from 2019 to 2027.
During the biometric screening of people, their health-care variants are recorded ranging from their Body Mass Index (BMI) to their blood sugar level. This is mostly used by companies, to keep a record of their employee’s health and well-being, concluding their capacity to work and take pressure and the best ones are then filtered. Healthcare providing centres also use this to depict their patient’s health and predict any odd-comings.
Passports, which are made by most governments, are of the traditional type with a mounted electronic microprocessor chip, also known as digital passport or biometric passport with the fingerprint impression and morphological biometrics.
Biometrics plays the most important part in identifying a person so much so it defines the whole being, giving a height to the security and security related firms as they can identify a wrong-doer with just a thumb impression and if that’s not available or found, DNA can be used as an alternative.
Measures Biometrics have some pillars termed as measures that actually provide all the insight.
These biometrics are the most interesting of the kind as they focus on the shape of your hands, size of the fingers, vein patterns, iris and the retina and face cuts and the jawline, collectively structure of the face.
The name explains most of the term. Biological biometrics are the biological analyses of the person focusing on the DNA, saliva, blood or urine.
Biological biometrics rescues the problem when morphological and behavioral biometrics fail to do. Most common example of this is the identification between twins.
Authenticating someone on the basis of how they behave, act and do stuff, behavioral biometrics will do the work. It proves the claim of a person that whether or not they are the same in the real world. This includes, voice IDs, gestures, signature, ways of using a thing, sound of steps and whatnot.
According to a survey (US based) conducted by Reservations.com, 42.6% of the respondents are in favor of facial recognition technology used at airports, whereas 32.5% disapprove of this technology. This research is backed by the study conducted by Mastercard and Oxford University, where 77% participants termed facial recognition as a secure system and 93% who consider fingerprints system as a secure biometric system.
- The military is one of the users of biometric tactics. They keep track of their soldiers and their whereabouts, what they are doing, how they are doing. They prevent illegal and ghost entries by keeping the biometric record.
- With the help of biometric ID cards and data entered within the system under that particular ID card can be accessed to track an individual and monitor their activities.
- Biometric securities have made the companies stronger as the attendance of the employees as well as their whole particulars are recorded in the system. Also, it identifies any offender roaming through CCTV.
- Where there are remedies there exist breachers, in order to escape facial and ID recognition, some offenders opt for plastic surgery to hide their identity but they can still be traced by their fingerprints and DNA.
- Biometric and more specifically AI tech has minimized the hassle. You don’t have to go through the lengthy process of SMS-based or multi-factor authentication, scan your face in the camera and you’re good to go, keeping the data secured all the way.
Read Also: Guide on How to Choose Your First Watch
- The online products named as face verification and facial biometric authentication provide 98.67% accurate results with 3D depth analysis of the entered particulars.
- This isn’t it, it also offers document verification through which documents can be scanned and run for authentication.
Offenders with their cunning approaches try to be more smart and to place barriers in their way it is important to take result-providing measures. These include biometrics, law enforcement, check-and-balance but on top is biometrics. When the data is in the system, identity, as well as location, can be traced, the fraudsters will have less ways to go. Even after faking their identity, voice, appearance, fingerprints they can still be caught with the help of biological and behavioral biometrics.